Thursday, April 2, 2020

Account 08: A Tower in the Woods

Background information
  • Name: Unknown
  • Pronouns: Unknown
  • Date: March 30, 2020
  • Occupation: Unknown
  • City of residence: Unknown
  • Date(s) of account: 2018
  • Subject of account: A tower in the woods

Account
There used to be trees here. There used to be birds that sang and worms that crawled and foxes that stalked. Now there is only metal that does not rust.

There is a tower at the center of what was once a forest. The tower is impossibly cold and unendingly high. It watches ceaselessly.

Two years ago, I was going into the woods behind my home for my daily walk when I saw a strange metal tower on the side of the path I was on. It was a foot or so taller than myself and six feet in diameter. I did not know what it was. It had no markings on it that could hint at its nature. It was smooth all over, and there was no vegetation within a foot of the tower in each direction.

When I returned the next day, I saw that a clearing had formed around the tower, which was now twice as tall as I was. Cables reached down from its peak, keeping it firmly in place. I did not know why it was there. I did not know why or how it had grown.

I realized then that I could not hear the sounds of any animals at all.

Each day, the tower had grown in height when I returned to that spot, though I never saw it do so myself. Each day, it was more elaborate in its structure, cables interconnecting with one another in intricate patterns or twisting into one another to form thick ropes of steel.

I did not tell anyone about the tower. The area where I live is very isolated, and I live alone. I did not want to venture out into the world just to tell a strange story about a tower that grows eternally. I knew I would be rejected at once.

One day, I watched the tower. I did not leave and wait for it to grow while I was away. I waited for two days without sleep, my waking and dreaming becoming increasingly blurred, but the tower did not grow. It does not want to show how it becomes.

That second day, I dreamed that cables reached out from the tower to consume me, devouring everything I was and replacing me with itself.

When I awoke, I saw that the tower had grown while I was asleep.

The tower has servants, those it supplies with tools of suppression and violence. They think they are the masters of those they conquer, but they are simply extensions of the tower, its wires controlling their every action. They do not know the true reason they do what they do. They do not know that their only purpose is to bring more under the tower's control.

They do not know what they do.

I have not seen the towerborn many times. They are not keen to show themselves to me. However, I have met them in the past: people whose eyes are cold and lifeless, whose gait is stiff and mechanical, whose laughter is hollow and false. They were once human, but now they are something else, and I do not know what.

I meet the towerborn sometimes on the rare occasions when I go into town to get what I cannot make or grow for myself. They wear many guises, but all of them are in positions of power: police officers, businessmen, priests.

They do not know what they do. I do not know what they are. I do not know what the tower is or why it grows or why it births or why it feeds.

All I know is that even now, even as the tower stretches high above the clouds, it is still growing, and it is still eating.

And I am so afraid.

Analysis
My instinct is to say that this account is either a conspiracy theory or a hoax. It certainly reads as one. Not only that, but Alex and I couldn't find any claims of a tower anywhere that matched the claims of our source, who refused to provide the details of their location necessary for us to investigate.

To put it bluntly, this account is interesting, but unless future developments prove otherwise, it isn't worth our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment